Monday, July 5, 2010

Mexican schools are weird.


Sure, I wanted to wake up early. Last night after reading some memorable passages from the short novel, La Piel Muerta, I told myself, “I will wake up early and write.” But what I really meant was, I will wake up at some reasonable hour (10am), shower, eat breakfast and write for 3 hours and then read for 4. A good 7 hours before starting my new French class (7:30pm-10:30).

 

What I didn’t know when I went to bed was that across the street there would be a graduation at 8am. That little boys and girls in blue uniforms would walk to receive a diploma (at least it looked like a diploma) while Radiohead’s Creep played for the entire neighborhood to hear. Yes. Radiohead. 8am for a graduation. As I heard the words, “I wish I was special, your so fucken special, but I’m a creep” I thought of calling my friend Daniel and telling him I had found an elementary that produces the emo’s of tomorrow. WHY else could they possibly be playing CREEP during a transitional moment of Mexico’s future teachers, engineers, politicians? Creep was followed by BitterSweet Symphony and a little girl talking about “our” responsibility. As I prepared breakfast I muttered, almost unconsciously, “KISS ASS.” Maybe I was upset that her words had undone the previous work of the Verve and Radiohead: why couldn’t I remain in the past for a few more minutes! OR at least in bed, sleeping, waiting for a reasonable hour before I got back to being a responsible student. 

5 comments:

  1. That is really wierd, but I would have called Nick. Would have reminded me of the days when I would wake up to Green Day and radiohead and nirvana

    ReplyDelete
  2. jajaja the future emo's of tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're taking French in Mexico City? That's weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. thought of nick as well.
    Taking french to pass a French exam that is required of all latin american phds at columbia..fun times..though its pretty interesting to see who takes french in df.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my mom thinks the lyrics to creep are "im a weirdo"

    ReplyDelete